12/13/13 Essential Oil Deodorant

I found a new recipe online last night for an Essential Oil Deodorant.  I was excited at the prospect of an easier to apply and less messy Natural Deodorant formula. My current formula uses Bentonite Clay, Baking Soda, and Arrowroot Starch to absorb moisture, it is in a base of Shea Butter and Coconut Oil. The formula preforms beautifully, but is a little different to apply. 

So, I wrote down my new recipe and grabbed my box of essential oils. The list was all heavy hitters in the Essential Oil World; 


  • Purify (DoTerra) essential oil
  • Clary Sage essential oil
  • Frankincense essential oil
  • Lemon essential oil
  • Lavender essential oil
  • Lemongrass essential oil

I did a little research and found out that "Purify"(DoTerra) is a blend of essential oils (Cilantro, Citronella, Lemon, Lime, Tea Tree, and Pine.) Having this information is useful, but only because I know about Essential Oil Blending. For your average person, this oil is best to simply purchase. I did not wish to use a few of the essential oils, or did not have them on hand. I took out the Cilantro and Citronella. My final Oil Blend for the first batch is below. I initially mixed it in one 10 ML Glass Roll On, but had to dilute it into two. The Lemon Essential Oil I have is 5x, which means it is five times concentrated ( I goofed and did not compensate for that, adding way too much Lemon.)

Lemon Lemon oil is invigorating and a great wake up. It is a disinfectant and also purifies.

Lime - Very similar to Lemon, acts as a disinfectant. 

Bergamot - Known for deodorant properties and good for healing skin. 

LemongrassThis oil may help with waking up the lymphatic system and getting oxygen flow.

Tea Tree - Antibacterial, Anti-fungal, Deodorant, and Healing.

Clary SageThis oil is great for hormonal balance and was historically used for female complaints.

LavenderOne of the most commonly used oils in perfumery as well as natural skincare. This oil is calming to the skin and healing. It is antimicrobial and anti-fungal.

Cedar Wood - Cedar wood has a long history as an incense and perfume.Air purifier, coughs, dandruff, dry skin, fungal infections, insect repellent, nervous tension, rashes, rheumatism, ulcers. Cedar wood is a good addition to a hair tonic, and gives the aroma a long lasting undertone.

FrankincenseThis oil is great for immune system support, emotional balance and an overall great oil to use daily. It helps to repair damaged skin, as well as lasts a long time in deodorant applications because of its "Base Note" classification.

Pine - Analgesic, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti-neuralgic, antirheumatic, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, balsamic, cholagogue, decongestant, deodorant, disinfectant, diuretic, expectorant, insecticide, stimulant, vermifuge 

Ok, so I mixed them all together, added my Sweet Almond Oil to dillute, and then rolled under my pits. Gross, I know...but this is Deodorant. It smelled lovely... Almost too lovely. The lemon smell soon became a bit overpowering. Then... the burning started. My armpits felt like they were on fire. Turns out Lemon Essential Oil is very high in Vitamin C, hence the burning pits. I had way more than I needed. So, I quickly wiped of the old version, popped the bottle back open, and diluted the whole formula down with 

The new formula is LOVELY! It smells of everything clean and fresh. I love the Lemon now and it does not irritate the skin at the proper dilution. I will be using it and sharing it with friends for the time being, but is will be for sale after some more testing!

Stay Green, Jerra


 

Comments

Popular Posts