MISBEHAVING SKIN : What it is to Bear's Beauty

Chances are, if you are at this post, you have what I call "Misbehaving Skin." The truth is, I have been using this term for so much of my life, it only recently occurred to me that not everyone is familiar with the phrase.

From the age of about twelve on, I had acne. I didn't just have acne. I had bacne, shoulder-cne, chest-cne ... and I was super pale. So, each and every blemish showed, bright red, long after healing. I had acne, acne scars, and then I had course hair when that became a thing mid-high school. I was blonde, but my body hair grew in like an old Italian man. I had KP, so every dark hair had a little dark spot at the root. I then had hormonal acne, cystic acne, and ingrown hairs to throw in the mix. My Mother, literally the sweetest woman on the planet, didn't want me to think I had "bad" skin. So, we started to say that my skin was "Misbehaving."

Funny, now that I look back, what a huge impact that phrase had on my self-confidence. Yeah, I had breakouts, but my skin was just misbehaving. It gave me a sense of a light at the end of the tunnel, of the impermanence of the situation, Granted, I didn't know that then, but self-talk is very important.

The name "Misbehaving" also speaks to the number of skin concerns addressed in this one specific oil blend. As I listed above, my skin didn't have just one issue. As I got older, and was diagnosed with PCOS, hormonal fluctuations became the norm. As did the breakouts that came with them. I had to find a solution that worked all the time, not just when my skin was sort of broken out.

This blend helps address concerns with excess oil, dryness, acne, scarring, hormonal acne, ingrown hairs, clogged pores, blackheads, picking scars, post-acne scarring, redness, flaking, and has a host of anti-bacterial properties.

I have integrated this essential oil into facial scrubs, washes, serums, and even a body version.

I use the Body Scrub + Body Serum to keep my whole body clear, great for booties!

You can use all the items together or just one, like the serum, in your routine. 

ABOUT THE ESSENTIAL OILS IN THE BLEND

While the blend is proprietary, and was created in early 2013, I can share a bit about some of the more than 18 botanicals in this blend.

Bergamot (Bergaptene Free) | This non-photosensitizing version of the Italian citrus fruit is recommended for excess oil, clogged pores, and lack-luster skin.  

Lavender + Tea Tree |  These two classic calming and astringent oils are mentioned together because a recent study shows these two oils together may help reduce excess facial hair in women with PCOS. You already know and love them, this is just one more reason :)

Clary Sage |  One of the less-known essential oils, this amazing botanical is said to have hormone balancing properties, as well as being anti-bacterial and reducing inflammation, having many compounds in common with lavender.

Niaouli | A cousin to Tea Tree, astringent and anti-bacterial, stronger than Tea Tree but milder on the skin and senses in general.

Tamanu | This oil is a star alone, but the smell can be a bit much. If you have been on IG, you have seen the black-bottled viral serum that is just this oil. It happens to smell like molasses and plants though, so while it is super anti-inflammatory and regenerating, I love it in a synergistic blend where the scent can be melded with others.  
 

There are oils in this blend to address all aspects of irritated and broken out skin in a gentle way. 



Some essential oils you want to avoid, in my opinion, in acne serums especially :

OREGANO  | In topical applications like serums that are for all over face, can be irritating, even at low concentrations.

NEEM |  Contraceptive effects

CHAMOMILE | YARROW - May irritate hay fever allergies, can make it hard to tell if other oils are beneficial in the formulation, so I choose to only use these in specific formulations.


AVOID Serums or oils based in :

Virgin Coconut
Rosehip more than 10%
Sunflower (High Oleic)
Avacado
Hazelnut 
Beeswax
Palm (including in soaps)
Cetyl or Ceteryl Alcohol - Ewax - Emulsifying Wax
Evening Primrose Oil

 


Comments

Popular Posts