How can one oil and oil cleansing be good for all skin "types?"

Great question. It is in fact a question that I get A LOT. Two years ago when I first launched my line and introduced Cleansing Oil to my friends + family + customers, it was not as popular as it is now. Many big brands have come out with their own "cleansing oil." Many of these are petroleum-based or totally inorganic and chemical-filled. The commercial version of "cleansing oil" is typically a light oil mixed with a "solubizer" such as PEG 8 or Polysorbate, While these do rinse clean with water, they are totally defeating the purpose of cleansing oils and muddying the waters for consumers.

I am here to clear things up. I feel that the idea of "skin type" is a very beneficial concept for big beauty, who launch lots and lots of products promising big things for specific skin types. I also know that there are only a handful of commercial formulation and production companies that manufacture most of the products you see on the beauty isle. Even Burt's Bees is owned by The Clorox Company. Yeah ... there's that. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Petroleum, Parabens, Artificial Fragrance, or chemical additives ... but I have learned a lot over the last five years that I, as a consumer, would have liked to know 20 years ago.

While I cannot go back in time and start using natural products sooner, I can share what I have learned with you. Yes, I do sell my own products, and of course I am somewhat biases. But, I have not always been and I did not start my company to make money. When I started selling my products, they were things I was making in my kitchen. They were potions that helped me heal my acne after almost ten years of battling with my skin. They were products that helped me get rid of my migraines and allergy issues. I started my company with $500 and a dream. I also had the goal of consumer education. At the end of the day, I don't care if you buy my products, but I do want you to know what is going into your body.

I struggled with my skin. I had acne, oily skin, dryness, hormonal cystic acne, psoriasis, and eczema. My body was screaming at me to change.

My Cleansing Oil, and plant-based cleansing oil in general, can be very beneficial for almost all skin. Organic Hemp Seed Oil is pretty much the most epic oil in the plant kingdom, as far as I am concerned. The omega fatty acid content of 3-6-9 mean that your skin not only has nourishment, but all the vital building blocks to regenerate. Hemp seed oil doesn't clog pores and actually breaks down sticky thick oils in your pores. It helps break down blackheads + whiteheads, soothes inflamed skin, and sinks in to the deepest layers of your epidermis to truly nourish.

If you are a person who likes the squeaky clean feeling of soap, you should understand that the tight feeling you feel as your face dries is literally trans-dermal water loss. Because the protective layer of oil has been removed from your skin, water is able to leave the cells. This also leaves your skin susceptible to intrusion from bacteria and germs. I was addicted to that feeling. I had such oily skin that I loved the feeling of "clean." It turns out, that "clean" feeling was really the cause of my oil slick an hour later. My body was actively making more oil to protect my skin again. Learning about this cycle changed my skin.

A pimple forms when a pore becomes blocked and your body sends white blood cells to stem the infection. The more you strip your skin, the more it is exposed. Even if you have normal or dry skin, you probably still struggle with blemishes. Many times the blockage is a mixture of your own sebum, dead skin cells, and external dirt. Much like removing glue or gum, you want to use oil to break down the gunk.

Ok, so to my point, there is no magic cure for any skin issue, but there is a balance of oils that will work for your skin. Hemp Seed Oil is a very delicate oil and so I balance it with Sunflower Oil, which is also non-comedogenic, and high in Vitamin E.

Using this base, and offering a few custom formulas, there is an option for everyone. Cleansing oil also offers a lot of room to customize your routine.

If you have dry skin, using cleansing oil to cleanse, and then following with a Hyaluronic Acid Serum or face mist and then moisturizer is a great option for you.

If you have normal skin, you can probably use just the oil and nothing else.

You can even cleanse how you like. Maybe you wear makeup and would use the Cleansing Oil to double cleanse. Use the oil to break down makeup, remove with a tissue, and then use the same oil to deep clean and remove with a warm cloth.

If you have Acne, you definitely want to try the OCM. Not just any OCM, make sure the oils are non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, and Organic. Not all Cleansing Oils are created equal.

Mature skin will benefit from an oil cleanser with some richer oils, consider things like Shea Butter that are both rich and non-comedogenic. As long as you are cleansing with an oil that won't clog pores, you will love the results.

I love doing consults, and although I am not a medical professional, and I don't make any medical claims, I am always happy to share. Check your labels, and if you are having skin issues, make sure you are not fighting yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts