Natural Oral Care Routine + Tips

When I decided to to switch to natural products, I knew that toothpaste was one of the first things that needed to go. All my life, I struggled with cavities. When I say struggled, I mean every visit they were scheduling me for fillings or a root canal. I admit, I was never a fan of brushing my teeth. I know that sounds gross, but my gums always burned when I brushed my teeth. I used to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and even that seemed to leave my gums sore.

Over the last three years my oral care routine has changed a lot. Using some basic ingredients, I have been able to get my mouth healthier than it ever has been. It all started with Bentonite Clay. Bentonite Clay + Baking Soda + Salt + Coconut Oil was the start to my version of toothpaste. Bentonite Clay not only helps absorb toxins and encapsulate them, but also happens to be rich in calcium. 

I have to admit, I never thought it would work. I really believed that I would get six months in and my teeth would be rotting out of my head. All my life I struggled with cavities. I just knew that there was no way clay and oil would help... just like I was sure that oil would not help my skin. 

Turn out, I was wrong on both counts. 

The more I looked into Fluoride, the more questions I had. I cannot say that it is good or bad for you, and I am not a doctor or dentist. I know that I chose to stop using fluoride toothpaste because I felt like there were more risks than benefits for me. 

So, after six months of using my toothpaste, did my teeth fall out?

The strange part is, I almost forgot about regular toothpaste. I got so used to using my clay paste that I didn't even think about my teeth for awhile. This is the part where I am super honest. I was not eating well and definitely ate way more than my share of sugar. I drank alcohol and brushed with just water some nights. I drank a pot of coffee a day. When I finally stopped to check my teeth, they were good. My gums weren't bleeding when I brushed. I started looking more into the components of my toothpaste and have been refining it ever since. 

I now offer several remineralizing and all natural oral care products, with lots of different needs in mind. 

I tell you my story because I know it can be scary giving up commercial toothpaste. Oral hygiene is a very personal thing, and so I wanted to share my story. Now, I will explain a bit about my routine and my products.

I thought I would tell you how I use my products, and give you some options for ways to add them to your routine.

First, you need to choose the toothpaste that is right for you. I have two main formulas. The Original Natural Tooth Polish formula is a hydrated Bentonite Clay base. This paste is great for those with super sensitive teeth, as well as those who don't like the taste of coconut oil.  It has a 3-4 month shelf life. The Organic Coconut Oil Toothpaste is my favorite. It has all the benefits of the Remineralizing formula, but is Coconut Oil based and has a year shelf life. The Coconut Oil formula also comes in four Cocoa flavors, great for kids and those who don't like traditional flavors.

My Natural Tooth Powder is a dry version of my Original formula, and a great choice for those who are allergic to coconut, campers, hikers, and purists. You can mix your own paste at home, or apply right to your wet brush. No matter what toothpaste you choose (mine or another brand), make sure the formula does not contain Glycerin. Glycerin coats teeth and prevents remineralization.

The best thing about my toothpastes is that you never have to worry about safety. All of the ingredients are food-grade. The Cocoa Toothpaste is a great option for kiddos. It can be tough to get children to brush their teeth, but chocolate makes everything better :0 )

Just like any toothpaste, you want to brush your teeth at least twice a day, preferably after each meal. If you want to use a mouthwash, you can make a simple one with distilled water and baking soda. I am working on a DIY as we speak for you guys.

My Charcoal Tooth Polish is a great supplementary product, and helps whiten teeth by removing surface stains.






Comments

Popular Posts