Perfect Hair Duo and Sun-Lightener

I remember as a young girl, trying to talk my Mom into buying me that sun-in highlighting spray. Even back then, my mother wasn't a fan of chemicals. It seemed like a more natural solution to lightening my sandy-blonde hair. Looking at the ingredient list now, however, it is a very different story.

Water , Hydrogen Peroxide , Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice , Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower ExtractMatricaria , Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract , Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed ExtractLinseed , Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate , Dimethicone PEG 7 Phosphate , Glycerin , Quaternium 80 , Panthenol , Silk Amino Acid , Polysorbate 20 , Fragrance , Benzoic Acid , Disodium EDTA

As you can see, there are a lot of things in there that are not natural. This formula also contains artificial fragrance and Polysorbate 20 (among other offending chemicals.)

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705137/POLYSORBATE-20/

I like the Environmental Working Group website ^, because they offer a very simple scale of measuring cosmetic ingredients.

So, after coming through the ingredient list, and still wanting to lighten my silly striped blonde hair, I decided to make my own. What I came up with is a super simple, and super effective Sun Activated Highlighting Spray. I wouldn't recommend using this on dark brown - black hair, but lighter shades of brown, blonde, and even red could use this.

I am listing my recipe here for you guys, and I am also going to be posting this product for sale very soon on my page.

I combined:

Organic Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Juice
Organic Aloe Vera Juice (The Gel is too thick for most spray bottles)
Distilled Water/Rose Water/Rosemary Hydrosol/Chamomile Tea
Argan Oil
Essential Oils (Lemon, Rosemary, Lime)
Hibiscus Powder
Glycerin

I put everything in a little Aluminum Spray Bottle and sprayed right on my dry hair.

I also applied Sunscreen (Spf 15 every thirty minutes) and then headed out into the sun.

After two hours of intermittent sun exposure and washing with my new Coconut Shampoo, my hair is at least two shades lighter. The effect is very natural, and is even beginning to blend in my roots (from where I stopped bleaching my hair almost a year ago.)

On another note, my Coconut Shampoo is nearly done with testing. I am loving my hair. It feels so soft and healthy, and is full of shine! I also figured out a way to incorporate the benefits of Hibiscus Flower into a Conditioner...BOOYA!

Sunscreen trials are also going well. My second day in the sun, and not a hint of redness!

Stay Green and Beautiful!

Jerra






Comments

Popular Posts